This article provides an overview of how to configure Filevine’s Billing feature using the Billing Setup ADvanced tool. To enable Billing in your Org, contact support or ask your Filevine representative. You can also watch the Time & Billing training videos to learn more.
In the Billing Setup Advanced tool, you can manage rate schedules (including expense templates), invoice settings, payment settings, billing codes, and access to rate-sensitive information. You will also need to add the built-in Billing section to a project type in the Customs Editor.
Billing Setup Advanced Tool
In the Billing Setup Advanced tool, you can configure Org-level billing functionality. Click Advanced > Billing Setup. Click the main menu in the top left corner and select Advanced from the dropdown menu. Then, in the lefthand side menu, select Billing Setup.
The Advanced tool contains five tabs: Rates, Invoices, Payments, Codes, and Access.
Follow the overview below to set up Billing for your Org.
- Rates: To create a rate schedule, assign rates to any member of the Org in the Team Member list, and add any expenses that will be regular for this type of case under the Expense Item list. For information about how to enter rate schedules, hourly rates, and expense items, or about how to handle multiple rate schedules, consult the Rate Schedule article.
- Invoices: The invoices tab is where you can upload a custom invoice template and configure additional settings to enable emailing, configure LEDES-compatible invoices, and more. To upload a template, in the Invoice Template section, download the default template, edit it, and upload your desired custom template. Read the Invoices article for step-by-step creation of a custom invoice template and more details about the additional settings.
- Payments: In the Payments tab, you can manage invoice terms, automatic payment application, and automatic payment creation from project funds. Learn more about the Payments tab.
- Codes: To define codes that can be assigned to billing items, such as LEDES codes, click on the Codes tab and enter the codes you’d like to use, along with their descriptions, and assign the tables of codes to time entries and expenses accordingly. Learn more about billing codes.
- Access: Select rate-viewing permissions for users in the Org. If you would like to grant rate-viewing permissions to some users, click the Access tab and toggle rate-viewing permissions on for those users. Users working in the Billing Advanced tool should be given rate-viewing permissions. Learn more about setting up rate-viewing permissions.
Add a Billing Section to the Project
To use timekeeping and billing features, the built-in section of the Billing type must be added to a project template in the Customs Editor. Follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Sections tab in the Customs Editor. Navigate to the Customs Editor by clicking on the main menu in the top left, and clicking Advanced. Next, click Customs Editor on the lefthand side. Select the project type that you would like to add this section to.
- Add a Billing section. In the Sections tab, click Create New Section in the top right corner. Choose the name and icon for the section, and in the Section Type dropdown menu, choose Billing (Built-in). Click Save. The Billing Section will now appear in projects of this type.
To view the project-level Billing section, navigate to the project and click the Billing Section on the lefthand side (it will appear as whatever you have named it). This built-in section contains a summary, a space to enter time, expenses, and fees, and project-specific billing settings. Learn more about this section in the project-level Billing article.