This article provides an overview of how to configure Filevine’s Billing feature. To enable Billing in your Org, contact support or ask your Filevine representative. You can also watch the Time & Billing training videos to learn more.
Filevine Billing is configured in the “Setup Billing” Advanced section, where you will set up and set the terms for your Billing, and in the Customs Editor [link], where you will add the built-in Billing section [link to project-level billing] in a project type.
Setting up Billing for your Org includes:
- adding a Billing section to a project type in the Customs Editor
- determining a rate schedule
- creating a custom template invoice
- choosing category and payment settings and terms
Add a Billing Section to the Project
To use timekeeping and billing features, the built-in section of the "Billing" type must be added to a project template in the Customs Editor. Follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Sections tab in the Customs Editor. Navigate to the Customs Editor by clicking on the main menu in the top left, and clicking “Advanced.” Next, click “Customs Editor” on the lefthand side. Select the project type that you would like to add this section to.
- Add a Billing section. In the “Sections” tab, click “Create New Section” in the top right corner. Choose the name and icon for the section, and in the “Section Type” dropdown menu, choose “Billing (Built-in).” Click “Save.” The Billing Section will now appear in projects of this type.
- View the Billing section in a project. In an individual project, navigate to the Billing section on the left hand side. (It will appear as whatever you have named it). This built-in section contains a summary, a space to enter time, expenses, and fees, and project-specific billing settings. Learn more about this section in the project-level Billing article.
Billing Setup Section
In the Billing Setup Advanced tool, you can configure Org-level billing functionality. The Advanced tool contains four tabs: Rates, Invoices, Codes, and Access.
Follow the overview below to set up Billing for your Org.
- Click Advanced > Billing Setup. Click the main menu in the top left corner and select “Advanced” from the dropdown menu. Then, in the lefthand side menu, select “Billing Setup.”
- Select rate-viewing permissions for users in the Org. If you would like to grant rate-viewing permissions to some users, click the “Access” tab and toggle rate-viewing permissions on for those users. Users working in the Billing Advanced tool should be given rate-viewing permissions. Learn more about setting up rate-viewing permissions.
- Create a rate schedule. To create a rate schedule, you will assign rates to any member of the Org in the “Team Member” list and add any expenses that will be regular for this type of case under the “Expense Item” list. For information about how to enter rate schedules, hourly rates, and expense items, or about how to handle multiple rate schedules, read the rate schedule article.
- Enter billing codes. If you would like additional categories for billing items, or you would like to generate LEDES-compatible invoices, click on the “Codes” tab and enter the codes you’d like to use, along with their descriptions, and assign the tables of codes to time entries and expenses accordingly. Learn more about billing codes.
- Upload a custom invoice template. Click the “Invoices” tab in Billing Setup. Download the default template, edit it, and upload your desired custom template. Read the Setting Up Invoices article for a step-by-step of how to create a custom invoice template.
- Choose additional invoice settings. The "Invoices" tab contains additional settings that enable emailing invoices, generating LEDES-compatible invoices, applying payments automatically, and more. Read about these additional settings.
Article is closed for comments.