We understand how critical it is for you to have your data available for use in FV. One of the main holdups in making the decision to switch Case Management Systems is the worry of what will happen to all your data. That is why Filevine offers Data Migration services to bring your data over from your previous CMS into Filevine. This article will cover the capabilities and limitations of Data Migration and what you can expect the process to look like.
Our Data Migration team has a powerful set of tools to migrate your data into Filevine. The following types of data can be imported with our tools.
- Project User Permissions
- Custom Sections
- The tools match the Custom Sections you create in Filevine so you can set Filevine up to fit the data you need to import.
*We can use our tools to import into these areas only as long as the data we receive from your previous system is consistently formatted, well organized, and given in a usable format.
- Before we can do anything, you need to get a backup of your data. The following are the file types that we can use for your backup: .csv, .xls, .xlsx, .bak, .db, .fm, .fmp. If you have a backup in some other format, contact your Implementation Consultant about your options.
- Once we have your backup we will do an analysis to review what data is included in the backup and the quality of the data. This will help us better understand the complexity of the migration and any issues that may arise.
- In this step, you will work with your Implementation Consultant to map the data from your backup to where it needs to go in Filevine. You will also be able to use the Customs Editor to customize some of the areas where you want to import to. This gives you total control over where your data will end up in Filevine.
- Once we have your completed map, the Data Migration Specialist in charge of your migration will begin scripting the data from your backup into a usable format for our import tools. The time it takes to do this varies depending on the size and complexity of your data.
- Once scripting is complete, we will perform rounds of testing on your data in a test environment for you to review. We can use the original backup you provided us or you can give us an updated backup to use. This step is critical for you to ensure your data is migrated the way you want. This is the time to find any issues as we cannot make any changes after the Final Migration. We will not do the Final Migration until you have given us the go ahead.
- Final Migration
- The data from your backup will be imported into your live Org. We will use an updated backup for this migration. Any additional migration you want to be done after this step will need to be part of a new migration project.