We understand how critical it is for you to have your data available for use in FV. One of the main holdups in making the decision to switch Case Management Systems is the worry of what will happen to all your data. That is why Filevine offers Data Migration services to bring your data over from your previous CMS into Filevine. This article will cover the capabilities and limitations of Data Migration and what you can expect the process to look like.
Our Data Migration team has a powerful set of tools to migrate your data into Filevine. The following types of data can be imported with our tools.
- Project User Permissions
- Custom Sections
- The tools match the Custom Sections you create in Filevine, so you can set Filevine up to fit the data you need to import.
We can use our tools to import into these areas only as long as the data we receive from your previous system is consistently formatted, well organized, and given in a usable format.
- Before we can do anything, you need to get a backup of your data. The following are the file types that we can use for your backup: .csv, .xls, .xlsx, .mdb, .bak, .dbf, .dpt and .ics and .db. If you have a backup in another format, contact your Implementation Consultant about your options.
- Once we have your backup, we will do an analysis to review what data is included in the backup and the quality of that data. This analysis will help us better understand the complexity of the migration and any issues that may arise.
- In this step, you will work with your Implementation Consultant to map the data from your backup to Filevine. You will also be able to use the Customs Editor to customize some of the areas where you'd like to import. This gives you control over where your data will end up in Filevine.
- During the mapping process, you will be using the PMAT Analysis Document to ensure the fields that you place in your map are the actual field name and types that are in your legacy database.
- After your map is complete, the Data Migration team will review the fields to ensure the field names and types match. If there are any discrepancies, your Implementation Consultant will reach out to you to have these fields updated on your map.
- Once we have your completed map, the Data Migration Engineer assigned to your project will begin scripting the data from your backup into a usable format for our import tools. The time this takes varies depending on the size and complexity of your data.
- When scripting is complete, we will perform rounds of testing on your data in a test environment for you to review. We can use the original backup you provided or you can give us an updated backup to use. This step is critical for you to ensure your data is migrated the way you want. This is the time to find any issues, as we cannot make any changes after the Final Migration. We will not perform the Final Migration until you have given written approval via email and verbal approval on a call with the Data Migration Analyst, Data Migration Engineer, and Implementation Consultant.
- Final Migration
- The data from your backup will be imported into your live Org. We will use an updated backup for this migration. Any additional migration you want after this step will need to be part of a new migration project.