This article will discuss the steps to take within Filevine when an employee in your company is changing roles. Shifting roles in your company involves changing transferring tasks and cases and changing roles and permissions.
Because Filevine users exist independently of their Orgs and are tied to one email address as well as their history of tasks and notes in projects, it is best practice to switch the tasks, cases, etc. of the user, rather than switching the username and email of a user.
If you have a new employee or an employee who is leaving, consult the “When You Get a New Employee” and “When an Employee Leaves” articles for additional information.
Do you need to transfer any tasks or cases?
If an employee is changing roles, is another employee taking over their tasks? Will the employee changing roles be taking over the tasks and cases of another employee?
Do roles or permissions need to be changed?
If the employee’s roles or permissions need to be changed, you can change these by following the instructions in the following sections of the “When You Get a New Employee” article:
Do custom fields need to be updated?
Do you have any custom fields related to case assignments of this user? Sometimes, custom fields, like person fields, are related to case assignments or to a specific user. If this is the case, you will need to mass update these custom fields when a user’s roles are changed.
- Run a report. Run a “List of Projects” report and limit the reporting criteria to those projects in which you’d like to change this field. For example, you might limit the report to the "Attorney" field in "Case Summary" to update who the attorney is.
- Click Advanced > Mass Update. Click the hamburger menu in the top left, and select “Advanced” from the dropdown.
- Select “Edit Field” as the action. In the “+ Add an Update” tab, choose the project type. Next, choose the report you ran in step one of the report for criteria. In the “Choose a Mass Update Action” dropdown, select “edit a field in a project section.”
- Update the field information. Choose the project section with the field that should be changed. Choose the field that should be changed. Fill in or select the data that you would like to change this field to.
- Click “Queue Update.” When you have filled the new information in the field, hit the blue “Queue Update” button in the bottom right.