Creating a New Project
To create a new project, please follow these steps. Be careful when choosing the project information, as most of this information cannot be reassigned.
- Click menu > New Project. Click on the hamburger menu in the top lefthand corner and select “New Project” from the dropdown. A new project can also be created by clicking on "+ New Project" in the top right corner of the Project Hub.
- Choose Org and project type. Click on the “Choose an Organization” field, if applicable, and select the desired Org from the dropdown. Click on the “Choose a Project Type” field, if applicable, and select the desired project type from the dropdown.
- Search for or create a project client. Search for the project client for the case in the contacts field. As you type in the project client’s name, contacts already in Filevine will appear in a dropdown. This contact field’s search can be limited by default to a contact type. To remove this limit, deselect the “Limit to [type]” in the search dropdown.
Create a new contact by clicking “+ Add Person” in the dropdown or by clicking the blue new person icon to the right of this field. A contact card will open; fill out the card and hit “Save.”
- (Optional) Create the Project Name. The project will automatically be named by the name of the client. If you’d like the project to have a different name, enter your desired project name in the “Project Name” textbox. You can add or edit the project name at any time.
- Create. Hit the blue “Create” button.
A project’s Org, project type, and contact card cannot be changed. If you have created a project with the wrong Org, project type, or client, we recommend that you create a new project with the correct setup, copy over any data that was entered into the original case, and then to archive the original case. You may also consider giving it a project name with the word "duplicate" for any reports of archived projects that it may appear in, and using the project hashtag “#trash.”
If you have chosen the incorrect client for a project, do not edit the client in the client card (unless it is a new client). Client cards in Filevine exist across different projects, so when you edit, you will be editing the client card across all projects where it is in use, which can cause problems for other projects.