This article covers how to create and edit reminder schedules. Reminder schedules are just as they sound: they set a series of reminders that you will receive for either a Deadline (with reminders) field or a deadline in a Deadline Chain. The reminder schedule determines when reminders are sent out, and will post a note in the project’s activity feed and send an email reminder (provided email notifications are on).
To learn how to assign a reminder schedule to a Deadline (with reminders) field, read Date Fields. To learn how to assign a reminder schedule to a deadline in a Deadline Chain, read Setting Up Deadline Chains.
Reminder Schedules is an Advanced tool and requires Org Admin privileges.
Creating a Reminder Schedule
The Filevine Reminder Schedule acts as the Org default before you add your own reminder schedules. This default reminder schedule includes the following reminders:
Often, you will want to use a reminder schedule that includes fewer reminders, or different ones. Follow the steps below to create your own reminder schedule.
- Click Advanced > Reminder Schedules. Click on the hamburger menu in the top left corner and select “Advanced” from the dropdown menu. Select “Reminder Schedules” from the lefthand menu.
- Click the plus button. Select Org if applicable. Click on the plus button to the right of the field. Clicking this plus will add an editable reminder schedule name as well as a space to add additional reminders.
- Edit reminder schedule name. Click on the pencil to the right of the reminder schedule name and change the name of the schedule to whatever you like. When you are done changing, click the blue checkmark to save.
- Remove any reminders you do not want. Any reminder schedule will begin with the reminders from the Filevine Reminder Schedule. To remove these reminders from your schedule, click on the “x” to the right of the reminder.
- Add any reminders you want. If you would like to add a reminder, fill out the fields under the reminder schedule name: fill in the numbers of days, and select before, after, or on due date. Click the plus to add this reminder to your schedule, and it will appear below.
Naming Reminder Schedules
When you assign reminder schedules, you will choose from the list of reminder schedule names, so it is important that the names of the schedules are as clear as possible. If a reminder schedule gives reminders every 10 days, for example, you might name it “every 10 days.”
One system that works well for schedules with only a few reminders is to include every reminder day number, separated by slashes, with an “O” for a reminder on the day of the deadline. For example, a reminder schedule with these reminders:
would be named “10/1/O/1/10.” This naming system will make it very clear exactly what reminders are included in the schedule.
Whatever naming system you use, try to keep it consistent and provide information about what reminders are included in the name.
Editing a Reminder Schedule
Reminder schedules can be edited at any time. To edit a reminder schedule, go to the Reminder Schedule Advanced tool and select the reminder schedule you’d like to edit from the dropdown menu. From here, you can add, remove, and edit the name of the reminder schedule just as you would in the steps above.
Changing the Default
To make a reminder schedule the default, simply select the star to the right of the reminder schedule name. Only one reminder schedule can be the default, so the default will be switched from the reminder schedule it was on to the new one. The default reminder schedule will appear with a star next to it.