This article discusses what to do when an employee leaves, including removing them from your Filevine Org and transferring their tasks and permissions.
Filevine users exist independently of Orgs and are tied to one email address as well as to their tasks, notes, and other histories in projects. Because of this, a user cannot be deleted, only removed from your Org. A removed user’s notes, tasks, cases, etc. will still exist in the Org, meaning that no data will be lost when a user is removed. Since the user’s history remains in the Org, usernames should not be changed. Instead, new users should be created and old users should be removed.
Removing the user from the Org is the last step in the process of an employee leaving. Before removing your user, ensure that you’ve followed the steps below.
Keep the User
So long as the user does not need to be removed immediately, best practice is to keep the user in the Org until you have transferred the user’s cases and tasks. (Filevine licensing normally allows for up to 2-3 months of temporarily-added additional users.) If you need to add a new user, refer to the article on new employees for this process. Once you have a user in your Org ready to take tasks and cases, proceed to transferring tasks and cases.
If you have a user who needs to be removed immediately, take control of the employee’s email address, and reset the email password and Filevine password, but keep this user in the Org until tasks and cases are transferred.
- Click Advanced > Task Utilities. Click the hamburger menu in the top left corner, and select “Advanced” from the dropdown menu. Choose “Task Utilities” from the lefthand side menu.
- Transfer the tasks. Under “Bulk Assign Tasks,” select the user whose tasks are being transferred under “Select the Current User” and the user who will be taking these tasks under “Select the New User.” Make sure that you have entered the right information. Hit the “Assign Tasks” button to transfer the tasks.
If the employee’s tasks are not being transferred to a single other user, you will need to reassign tasks manually. The easiest way to do this is to run a task report. Follow the instructions in the build a report article. Choose “List of Tasks” as your report type and limit the criteria to the user who will be leaving.
- Run a project list report. Run and save a report of all the cases that the user who will be leaving is a follower on. Follow the instructions for running a report in the build a report article. Choose “List of Projects” as your report type and limit the criteria by “Team: Has a Follower where @Username Is In.” Select the employee who is leaving as the username.
- Click Advanced > Mass Update Permissions. In the top left corner, click on the hamburger menu and select “Advanced” from the dropdown menu. In the lefthand menu, choose “Mass Update Permissions.” From the “Choose a Mass Update Action” dropdown menu, select “Mass Update Permissions/Roles/Primary.”
- Fill out the fields. Select the user who will be taking over the cases under “select a user.” Select “Follower” from the Permission dropdown menu. Select the report you ran in step one. You also have the option of making the new user a primary on all of these projects, and of add any project roles for the new user.
- Click “Queue Update.” When you’ve finished filling out the fields, click the “Queue Update” button in the bottom right.
Remove the User from the Org
This step should be the last step in this process. A user should not be removed from the Org until their tasks and cases have been reassigned to a new user.
- Click Setup > Orgs > Members. In the top left corner, click the hamburger menu and select “Setup” from the dropdown. Choose “Orgs” from the menu on the lefthand side, and then click on the “Members” tab.
- Open user card and click remove. Select the user card of the member you would like to remove. In the open user card window, select the “Org Admin” tab. In the bottom lefthand side of the window, you will see “Remove [user] from org and all projects.”
When you click this text, another will open, asking you if you are sure. This action cannot be undone, and the user’s tasks, cases, and data will not be able to be transferred, so take this moment to ensure that you have completed all steps prior to this one. If you have accidentally removed the user preemptively, you can re-add them to transfer their tasks, but the team status on each case will be lost.
- Select “Remove from Org.” If you are certain that you have transferred this user's information, select “Remove from Org.” This will remove the user.